You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 11, 2018 12:02 pm

New Historian
Active

Perfect Paul

Paul was everything I wasn’t. He passed his eleven-plus, I failed. He went to grammar school, I went to secondary modern. He was on the football team, the cricket team, the boxing team, and every other bloody team going. I wasn’t even on the reserves. Dad used to say to me: “Why can’t you be like Paul?” which no parent should ever say to their child. If it was negative encouragement it failed dismally, having more of a boomerang effect. Even though Paul was my best mate, I hated him.

Sadly, Paul’s perfection wasn’t to last. Whilst I was drifting through a succession of crappy secondary schools, Paul was the great brown hope of the family: top of his class, school prefect, first XI, groomed for success. And then one day in fifth form, out of the clear blue sky, Paul just … stopped. Stopped studying, stopped going to school, eventually stopped even waking up.

He would get up in the morning, put on his uniform and go off to school. Then, after his father had left for work, Paul would double back home, and sleep all day. When the letter came from school saying he was missing, he intercepted it. His father had no idea what was going on until it was too late.

Paul's poor dad tried everything: talking, reasoning, begging, beating – nothing worked, Paul just slept through it all. After a while his bed was disgustingly filthy, he slept in it, ate in it, did everything but crap in it. His O-levels came and went, Paul slept. No one could figure out what was going on in his head, even friends and family. To this day Paul has never worked a day in his life, never done anything, never changed the habit of a lifetime; slept his life away.

Last edited by New Historian (Jun 11, 2018 12:02 pm)

#2 Jun 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Perfect Paul

It seems like a textbook case of clinical depression, don't you think?  What a tragedy.

#3 Jun 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

It seems like a textbook case of clinical depression, don't you think?  What a tragedy.

Probably spot on. Wouldn't be the first over achiever to go off the rails.

#4 Jun 11, 2018 3:39 pm

New Historian
Active

It happened literally overnight - or day. In the 80s we thought he was back on the tracks, went to his wedding to a lovely lass in Yorkshire, got an apprenticeship as a carpenter (at age 35 but never mind), but alas. Not to be. Put his hand on her once too many times and she dropped him like a hot coal.

#5 Jun 11, 2018 5:41 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

RD, I actually thought you were referring to Jabba the Bull Mastiff before realizing I was reading the Perfect Paul post. The Jabba trauma could put any male creature into a depression.
On a serious note, it's a bit strange what happened to Paul. He went from the peak to the valley overnight several years ago and just stayed there. Seems like more than depression, something must have snapped.

#6 Jun 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Slice
Active

Oh gosh that is ah long long depression.  There got to be other issues there. Maybe ah wrong, but ah doh tink depression last forever and ever Amen.  He needs to see ah Obeah woman.  Ah tink he girlfriend mother do him. Do him do not mean sex.  Anyone familiar with the Grenadian dialect, should know what ah mean.

Last edited by Slice (Jun 11, 2018 7:53 pm)

#7 Jun 11, 2018 11:29 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Oh gosh that is ah long long depression.  There got to be other issues there. Maybe ah wrong, but ah doh tink depression last forever and ever Amen.  He needs to see ah Obeah woman.  Ah tink he girlfriend mother do him. Do him do not mean sex.  Anyone familiar with the Grenadian dialect, should know what ah mean.

For many depression lasts until they kill themselves.

It is probably as much to do with chemical imbalance in the brain as anything else. giving a slothful melancholic feeling, where nothing seems to be worth the effort. Even when really wanting to do things a cloud hangs over the head stripping away the energy to get started.

I guess people can be elevated by circumstance, and just as easily lost in the slough of despond. But these will be changes of mood that is progressive, unlike bipolar who can be high as a kite one moment, and ready to slash their wrists the next.

#8 Jun 12, 2018 7:36 am

Slice
Active

Remember we ent waiting for NH to come back to Grenada, you and I will hang out sometimes.

#9 Jun 12, 2018 7:10 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:

Remember we ent waiting for NH to come back to Grenada, you and I will hang out sometimes.

Depends what you mean by hang out.... I aint that kinda boy... smile

Board footer