You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 13, 2018 9:50 am

Dancer
Active

CAN YOU GRILL

A couple of weeks ago I visited a friend . He offered beer , GRILLED fish , breadfruit, green peppers and some veggies.
What surprised me was the tastiness of his cooking , when he said all was done on a electric stove top  with a cast iron grill pan.

I remember my old lady had one and I remembered  seeing in lying around some where in the shed in the back yard.
I found it.
A round 10 inch Grill pan , full of rust and weighing about 10 lbs . I had it cleaned , grinding off all the rust.

Come on over Maymay for some grilled jerk pork. You can have wine.

Last edited by Dancer (Jun 13, 2018 9:53 am)

#2 Jun 13, 2018 10:09 am

Vanni
Active

Re: CAN YOU GRILL

... but I so love the taste of smoke coming from an actual fire ... but caramelising is giving a unique taste, like in particular in any mixed vegetables I cook in a simple pan - or any protein of course, or even some rice and other cereals: I intentionally leave it to slightly attach at the bottom of the pan, at the end of the cooking process, with much feel, so it's not too much and ends up tasting like a fail, but just enough to give it this unique taste.

Actually I love baking about everything.

Last edited by Vanni (Jun 13, 2018 10:11 am)

#3 Jun 13, 2018 10:24 am

Expat
Active

Just to be consistently argumentative/difficult.

I hate charcoal grills, especially when it is cooked here, as regardless of how cooked it is, the prime concern seems to be to lather on gallons of sauce. I want to take a squeegee and scrape it off.

They invented ovens, and ranges, lets go with progress. I don't want to hark back to the stone age, or settler days.

#4 Jun 14, 2018 8:31 am

Dancer
Active

With you Vanni  about the charcoal fire , the smoke and fire gives a unique taste to the food.

.... >   Caramelizing   < .....

Caramelizing :::: To cook something   ( such as fruit or veggies) slowly until it becomes brown and sweet . To change sugar into caramel by cooking.

#5 Jun 14, 2018 9:10 am

New Historian
Active

Don't like caramelized anything myself. In Barbados they put sugar in EVERYTHING and it's awful. In fact Bajan cooking in general is pretty crap.

#6 Jun 14, 2018 11:57 am

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Don't like caramelized anything myself. In Barbados they put sugar in EVERYTHING and it's awful. In fact Bajan cooking in general is pretty crap.

I don't think Dancer meant adding sugar, but rather browning down the veggies and burning them gently... like scorching the onions.

Wifey used to say me.. I aint eating mushgrooms.  I fry down some mushrooms till they were almost burnt, and she can't get enough... it changes the taste and overwhelms your taste buds. A light quick fry just doesn't do it.

Board footer