You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jun 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Expat
Active

Re: WOMEN AND BATHROOMS IN GRENADA

One I checked and hadn't known the origins before was to Bring home the bacon.... get paid for work...

Origins probably :-  the earliest citation for this phrase in the Oxford English Dictionary dates from 1924, the term is widely believed to come from the much older game of catching a greased pig, a popular competition at country fairs in which the winner was awarded the pig.

#12 Jun 12, 2018 8:17 pm

New Historian
Active

houston wrote:

Romans were quite the plumbing engineers. Invading armies would set up camp beside a stream of water and build shit house so that the water could be troughed through it and run down stream. Bench toilets were placed so that soldiers could do their business and the sewage would be washed away.
They had reusable sticks with a material on the end that was used to wash themselves, then placed back into the trough with the material in the water of course.
Once in a while the next guy would grab the wrong end and therefore became the term "You got the shitty end of the stick"

So my history teacher tells me.

Being a huge Romophile myself, and also with a curious fascination about "the toiletry arts", from what I've read and seen this is a fairly accurate of legionary crappers. They realized early on that shit brings diseases, and also realized that a good army needed healthy soldiers - well fed and paid!

Speaking of things Romana, the BBC series I Claudius is a tour de force. My brother in England complains that they can't see half the stuff that we see on YouTube, here in the wild wild west. Sucks to live in the first world lol!!

#13 Jun 12, 2018 8:18 pm

houston
Active

That's a relief to know.
What about the origins of S.H.I.T (ship high in transit) and F.U.C.K (for unlawful carnal knowledge) ?
Did the English invent those bad words?

#14 Jun 12, 2018 8:39 pm

houston
Active

New Historian wrote:
houston wrote:

Romans were quite the plumbing engineers. Invading armies would set up camp beside a stream of water and build shit house so that the water could be troughed through it and run down stream. Bench toilets were placed so that soldiers could do their business and the sewage would be washed away.
They had reusable sticks with a material on the end that was used to wash themselves, then placed back into the trough with the material in the water of course.
Once in a while the next guy would grab the wrong end and therefore became the term "You got the shitty end of the stick"

Being a huge Romophile myself, and also with a curious fascination about "the toiletry arts", from what I've read and seen this is a fairly accurate of legionary crappers. They realized early on that shit brings diseases, and also realized that a good army needed healthy soldiers - well fed and paid!

Speaking of things Romana, the BBC series I Claudius is a tour de force. My brother in England complains that they can't see half the stuff that we see on YouTube, here in the wild wild west. Sucks to live in the first world lol!!

Came up as blocked in your country on copyright grounds.
Will check for it elsewhere. Looks to be extremely interesting.

#15 Jun 13, 2018 10:43 am

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

That's a relief to know.
What about the origins of S.H.I.T (ship high in transit) and F.U.C.K (for unlawful carnal knowledge) ?

Its quite easy to do a google search you know.

Shit.. Germanic/old English

FK has Germanic, and Latin or Greek Roots

Let those fingers do the walking. Don't be lazy.

#16 Jun 13, 2018 10:45 am

Expat
Active

houston wrote:
New Historian wrote:
houston wrote:

Came up as blocked in your country on copyright grounds.
Will check for it elsewhere. Looks to be extremely interesting.

Funny, I had no problem in Grenada, but when I changed the IP to the USA it was Blocked.

Maybe you should invest in an IP cloak.

#17 Jun 13, 2018 11:06 am

Slice
Active

GMW wrote:

>>Lord ah remember the day when they find ah man in the ladies restrooms in Baltimore.  Security was called and they made ah big deal outa that.<<

When did that happen to you bro? How comes you never said nut'n? LOL.

How's Greenz?

AA Mr, MIA.  Wait ah minute you posted and it had not ah ting to do with race.  BTW, when you coming GREENZ? Ah go call you on whatapps sometime in the future.

Boy Grenada sweeter than ah Sugar Apple.  When you GREENZ, we go talk personally.

Last edited by Slice (Jun 13, 2018 11:09 am)

#18 Jun 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Expat
Active

Slice wrote:
GMW wrote:

>>Lord ah remember the day when they find ah man in the ladies restrooms in Baltimore.  Security was called and they made ah big deal outa that.<<

When did that happen to you bro? How comes you never said nut'n? LOL.

How's Greenz?

AA Mr, MIA.  Wait ah minute you posted and it had not ah ting to do with race.  BTW, when you coming GREENZ? Ah go call you on whatapps sometime in the future.

Boy Grenada sweeter than ah Sugar Apple.  When you GREENZ, we go talk personally.

Don't study the old nastiness, when we hold im in Greens and put 2 word pon im he go love white so much he go wish he'd been born white. So they stop, but get them out of they circle of friends, and they are like lost sheep.

#19 Jun 13, 2018 2:37 pm

houston
Active

Expat wrote:
houston wrote:

That's a relief to know.

Its quite easy to do a google search you know.

Shit.. Germanic/old English

FK has Germanic, and Latin or Greek Roots

Let those fingers do the walking. Don't be lazy.

Nay, google is too easy.
Lord Nelson's body was somehow squeezed into a keg of brandy to preserve it for the trip back to Gibraltar. During the journey the crew would get thirsty for a ladle of grog and dip into the barrel. Nelson's back side was facing upward in the keg.
The thirsty sailors would nod with their ladles and say "Bottoms Up"

#20 Jun 13, 2018 3:22 pm

Slice
Active

Expat doh bother with that ole talk he does talk about.  He too is ah real KEWL guy.  He is kinda ah dog like me, but he worst than me. So there are plenty things only me and him could talk about.  When two ole dogs meet, it is something else.

Board footer