You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 13, 2018 9:07 am

Dancer
Active

$ 17.50 WHISKEY BEST IN THE WORLD

HIGHLAND BLACK  8 year old scotch whiskey .  Is  top says International tasters.

Budget Supermarket ALDI  won two Gold Medals at an International Spirts Awards for its Scotch Whiskies

ALDI  .... $ 17.50 Highland Black  beat out competition  which retails at nearly three (3) times the price.

.......whiskey lovers  get a break.

Last edited by Dancer (Jun 13, 2018 9:55 am)

#2 Jun 13, 2018 10:27 am

Expat
Active

Re: $ 17.50 WHISKEY BEST IN THE WORLD

It's a Blended Whisky.

Serious Whisky drinkers drink single Malts.

#3 Jun 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Slice
Active

So there was nice restaurant, that wife and I loved going too for dinner in Baltimore. The price was right and the food was great.  The chef took part in a national  cooking show and won easily.  After he won, the price of food in that place went sky high, and you could no longer get a timely seat in that place.  Just before I came down here, we went back to that place, first we were surprise, of how easy in was to make ah reservation.  We thought some went wrong here; anyway, that place is not the same.  The price is still very high and the food is no longer tasty.  That place is now on the decline.

I said all ah dat to say, lets see how long the price is going to stay cheap.

#4 Jun 13, 2018 1:43 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

"Serious whiskey drinkers" are clowns.  Drink what you like.  Personally, I like sour mash corn whiskey.  So what?

#5 Jun 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Slice
Active

Here comes the American and the Englishman again. I will be watching this argument.

#6 Jun 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

A lot of people who fancy themselves "serious whiskey drinkers" in a blind taste test couldn't tell the difference between a single malt and a blended whiskey.   The distilling process washes most of that out.  The vast majority of the taste of whiskey is the result of the method of aging in chard oak casks.  The nature of the malt (sugar) that started the fermentation of the mash that was distilled into ethanol and aged is so subtle that I am skeptical that anyone could consistently identify single malt vs. blended whiskey... except in price.

#7 Jun 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Expat
Active

Taste is subjective. I haven't drunk Whisky more than a glass offered in many a year. Maybe many couldn't tell the difference, but that is because the blenders have used their skill to create a drink made from what must have been inadequate whiskies to create a good blended taste. Had the whiskies used for blending been good they would have been sold as single malts.

Taste in alcohol can be transitional too. I have worked my way through Vodka's. Whiskies, and Rums.

I started with the Rums with my Trini Lady, drinking the standard Old Oak, then I migrated to darker and darker rums until they were almost molasses in flavour. Then I got methane level with Wraye and Nephew, after that it was Clarkes Court, and finally after trying "normal" rums, I have a penchant for the Guyanese Eldorado Brand. Whether it is the fire water 151, or a 25 year old smooth as silk like honey melting on your tongue, Eldorado does it for me.

Personally I think Rivers is awful stuff with a weird smell and a nasty back taste. But others love it.

#8 Jun 13, 2018 3:56 pm

New Historian
Active

Rivers is great stuff - strips paint off in an instant!

Best whisky I ever had is Lagavulin, a real peaty taste, never to be wasted with a chaser.

#9 Jun 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Rivers doesn't even smell like rum.  It smells like Rivers.  Rum punch isn't rump punch if it doesn't have that interesting Rivers taste.

I have developed a taste for whiskey but I like what I like and what I like isn't tied to price.  I like Jack Daniels. I like Glenlivet.   I don't like really smokey whiskey much, however.

#10 Jun 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Calypso
Active

Dancer wrote:

HIGHLAND BLACK  8 year old scotch whiskey .  Is  top says International tasters.

Budget Supermarket ALDI  won two Gold Medals at an International Spirts Awards for its Scotch Whiskies

ALDI  .... $ 17.50 Highland Black  beat out competition  which retails at nearly three (3) times the price.

.......whiskey lovers  get a break.

THANKS. I AM GOING TO BUY IT--IF I COULD GET IT!!

Board footer