You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 13, 2018 8:46 pm

Expat
Active

Trying to Learn about America

Well the West, as presented by Robert Redford on Netflix.

Had been a busy day, among some of the chores had been rendering a wall as the Sun came around to roast me.

Anywhoos, I watch the BBC News, and Versailles series 2, and then pivoted to Netflix around 10pm.  I saw the first episode, of The West, and a bit of the second, and around 1:30 in the morning I woke up to half way through episode 5. Off to bed...

#2 Jun 13, 2018 9:38 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Trying to Learn about America

Ta for the tip sleepyhead, watching it now...

#3 Jun 14, 2018 8:02 am

Slice
Active

Not sure what you could learn about America that way.  America is ah million little Grenada in one.  Everyone of us living in the US have ah different America.  In one day, I can learn all there is to know about Grenada.

One thing ah learn about Grenada, that have me puzzled, it is still a class society., and the different classes do not travel the same route. Ah want to have a few folks over, because most was very helpful to me, but The classes would not do good together. One special event for some members of my family and another for the workers who went the extra mile to make sure my transition went well.

Yes I can do one event in America and get away with it.

#4 Jun 14, 2018 8:42 am

New Historian
Active

You can push the envelope, there is a big class difference but rum and waters is a great leveller.

#5 Jun 14, 2018 9:18 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Slice wrote:

America is ah million little Grenada in one.  Everyone of us living in the US have ah different America.

You spoke a book there.  I keep saying here that you don't learn much about Iowa or Alaska or Montana by visiting New York City.

#6 Jun 14, 2018 11:52 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Slice wrote:

America is ah million little Grenada in one.  Everyone of us living in the US have ah different America.

You spoke a book there.  I keep saying here that you don't learn much about Iowa or Alaska or Montana by visiting New York City.

Don't drop me in New Yoyk I doh wanna go, but give me a horse and a couple of hours how to learn to ride the thing, and I'm all over the Midlands/West. A wide brim Hat, a Horse Coat, Boots, a bedroll, Water tank, and a couple of saddle bags full of beans and Expat rebranded Yankee... smile

Last edited by Expat (Jun 14, 2018 11:53 am)

#7 Jun 15, 2018 11:55 am

piratejenny
Active

Slice wrote:

Not sure what you could learn about America that way.  America is ah million little Grenada in one.  Everyone of us living in the US have ah different America.  In one day, I can learn all there is to know about Grenada.

One thing ah learn about Grenada, that have me puzzled, it is still a class society., and the different classes do not travel the same route. Ah want to have a few folks over, because most was very helpful to me, but The classes would not do good together. One special event for some members of my family and another for the workers who went the extra mile to make sure my transition went well.

Yes I can do one event in America and get away with it.

Slice, the class thing - just what I thought the times I was there - with former family friends, in UWI events, and on my own. I was quite surprised and at first could not put my finger on CLASS in Grenadian society. I could tell because, quite frankly, I felt myself drawn to people like me who were Grenadian.

Not sure I am posting this correct, though the Preview looks OK.

Board footer