You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 15, 2018 2:38 pm

New Historian
Active

Maputo nice

Friday, October 02, 1997:

Maputo nice! Old, Portuguese-style buildings and wide boulevards (or what were once boulevards, now they're just wide scraggly streets). The women carry their babies in a sling over one shoulder, as against the towel-wrapped babies-on-back you see in Zimbabwe. Signs of economic stagnation everywhere: lots of ragged people in the street, buildings dilapidated and in need of a lick of paint. Not much commercial pizzazz.

Aspects of it remind me of Port-au-Prince but not I hasten to add in the horrible way I remember that sad city. The Maputo street map reads like a who’s who of Communist revolutionaries: Karl Marx, Patrice Lumumba, Samora Machel, etc.

The city has something special: “espiritu”, life - unlike Harare. Great seafood too. It’s a big city - about a million people – with lots of high-rise apartment buildings. The Polana Hotel is fabulous - marble floors, marble walls, marble columns, all very graceful. It bloodywell should be for $190 a night!

On Wednesday night I went to dinner with Abida from the office, a good contact. Delicious grilled grouper for two plus drinks - $20!

#2 Jun 15, 2018 4:42 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Maputo nice

Polana_Hotel.jpg

Board footer