You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 15, 2018 8:55 pm

houston
Active

Cargo trip

The weekend was nearing and I promised the boy we would take the Osprey to Carriacou for a day trip. We could hear it power up and watch it depart every weekday morning, so he was pretty excited about Sunday.
Sunday rolls around and we were up at the usual time for breakfast then heard the Osprey fire up unusualy early. Looked out from the balcony and there goes the Osprey. The boy cried with disappointment and I nearly did too. I had failed to realize that the Sunday shedule was different.
Determined to go to Carriacou for the day we walked down to the harbour to ask if any of the red cargo boats might be heading that way. Man was that a mistake. Sure come on aboard, we are heading to Trinidad but have to stop in Tyrell Bay. Right on I thought and for only 20 E.C.
Off we went and went and went and went. Great bunch of guys but man was that boat slow. They cast out their lines to troll for fish as the one mate cooked up a pot of stewed something. He rolled those dumplings with skill. These guys were extremely kind and offered a bowl of stew but we had sorta lost our appetite. The cook was really interesting. He had some nasty scars and I asked about them. Grenade during the war he said. I didn't quiz any further.
So we finally arrived in Tyrell Bay at a pier on a cargo boat that wasn't exactly designed for passengers to get on or off..it was rocking lots so I held the boy under my arms and attempted to get onto dock. The boy and I were both terrified until an older gentleman reached up from the dock and took him from my arms. Will never forget the kindness.
On shore there was nothing but a shop and swingset on the beach. Checked the time and it we only had about an hour before the Osprey departed Hillsborough for St. Georges. Ordered a couple of Tings, swung on the swings and waited for the mini bus to take us to the Osprey. A grand day it was.

#2 Jun 15, 2018 9:42 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: Cargo trip

Houston you rockin' today - great stories!

#3 Jun 15, 2018 10:43 pm

Expat
Active

houston wrote:

The weekend was nearing and I promised the boy we would take the Osprey to Carriacou for a day trip. We could hear it power up and watch it depart every weekday morning, so he was pretty excited about Sunday.
Sunday rolls around and we were up at the usual time for breakfast then heard the Osprey fire up unusualy early. Looked out from the balcony and there goes the Osprey. The boy cried with disappointment and I nearly did too. I had failed to realize that the Sunday shedule was different.
Determined to go to Carriacou for the day we walked down to the harbour to ask if any of the red cargo boats might be heading that way. Man was that a mistake. Sure come on aboard, we are heading to Trinidad but have to stop in Tyrell Bay. Right on I thought and for only 20 E.C.
Off we went and went and went and went. Great bunch of guys but man was that boat slow. They cast out their lines to troll for fish as the one mate cooked up a pot of stewed something. He rolled those dumplings with skill. These guys were extremely kind and offered a bowl of stew but we had sorta lost our appetite. The cook was really interesting. He had some nasty scars and I asked about them. Grenade during the war he said. I didn't quiz any further.
So we finally arrived in Tyrell Bay at a pier on a cargo boat that wasn't exactly designed for passengers to get on or off..it was rocking lots so I held the boy under my arms and attempted to get onto dock. The boy and I were both terrified until an older gentleman reached up from the dock and took him from my arms. Will never forget the kindness.
On shore there was nothing but a shop and swingset on the beach. Checked the time and it we only had about an hour before the Osprey departed Hillsborough for St. Georges. Ordered a couple of Tings, swung on the swings and waited for the mini bus to take us to the Osprey. A grand day it was.

Interesting persistence of "the boy" through out the story.

#4 Jun 15, 2018 10:48 pm

New Historian
Active

Well spotted that man!

#5 Jun 16, 2018 3:38 pm

houston
Active

New Historian wrote:

Houston you rockin' today - great stories!

Thanks, I was inspired by the master of story telling.

Board footer