You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 17, 2018 7:50 am

Expat
Active

Oh man this is awful

I don't know if the link will work, but give it a try.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-44329712

#2 Jun 17, 2018 8:15 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Oh man this is awful

Happens all the time. I remember being terrified of the crapper at the back of my Auntie Laurina's house in St. David's, and would hold it in until it hurt. Even in America, when I worked one summer at Owassippe Scout Reservation in Michigan we all used the "KYBO" - Keep your Bowels (or Butt) Open"!

#3 Jun 17, 2018 9:09 am

Calypso
Active

Expat wrote:

I did not know that shit pits were still in existence. When I used to visit my grandmother in the '70s, there was one on the property. I was told that a man once fell into it and they had to wash him off with Dettol.

#4 Jun 17, 2018 9:34 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I remember some rickety pit outhouses when I was a kid.  My great-grandmother never had indoor plumbing.

Pit toilets are still common in America in rural parks and so forth however they are usually concrete in very safe... if stinky.

#5 Jun 17, 2018 11:24 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I remember some rickety pit outhouses when I was a kid.  My great-grandmother never had indoor plumbing.

Pit toilets are still common in America in rural parks and so forth however they are usually concrete in very safe... if stinky.

Not gone the route of portaloos in parks and they are bad enough... Euuuuw.

Flushing bogs have been around for those with money since invented in 1595, although the infamous Thomas Crapper patented and manufactured and promoted Khazis from around mid 1800s..

Not withstanding,  lowlier properties like the one I grew up in which was built at the turn of the century had outside toilets... built into the house, but accessed from the outside. Not fun when there was 6 inches of snow on the ground. Housing after WW1 HAD to have an inside toilet.

I can't speak with any authority, but I would guess even old rural farms would have a flushing loo, just it would go into a septic tank... but then again.... who knows. Maybe they just perched on a convenient low lying horizontal branch.... smile

#6 Jun 17, 2018 2:48 pm

Calypso
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I don't believe that they look like as it was in the olden days. They can't flush and quite stink

#7 Jun 17, 2018 5:17 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

For sure, still common to see long drops in some picnic areas and camp grounds here. Nasty they are but can sure be of use in an emergency.
Much prefer the woods.

#8 Jun 17, 2018 5:22 pm

houston
Active

Calypso wrote:
Expat wrote:

I did not know that shit pits were still in existence. When I used to visit my grandmother in the '70s, there was one on the property. I was told that a man once fell into it and they had to wash him off with Dettol.

Always look down before you sit down.

#9 Jun 17, 2018 6:34 pm

houston
Active

Perdmontempts, do they have modern sanitary and storm drainage yet? Or is that only for the well crusted areas?

Board footer