You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jun 17, 2018 11:36 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: Black Law Graduate: No Work, Applying for Welfare, Suicidal!

Why do I think this story fits  with  ' Gripe's story .... ?

IN THE NEWS.

17 year old black kid stealing this man's car . The man pulls a gun and shot  the kid.

.... Walker 20 has organized protests , started a Facebook page , and launched a hashtag on Twitter .  She says she has not given up hope of getting justice for her brother.    ( .. the guy who shot the kid  ... not guilty )
She wants to Sue .
She believes her brother was found  guilty by one man  with a gun . Walker said her brother should be "  alive to stand before a judge and take respons ibi lity  for his actions.
When has it become legal to shoot someone  because they are pulling off in your car ? "

#12 Jun 17, 2018 11:38 pm

Dancer
Active

Why do I think this story fits  with  ' Gripe's story .... ?

IN THE NEWS.

17 year old black kid stealing this man's car . The man pulls a gun and shot  the kid.

.... Walker 20 has organized protests , started a Facebook page , and launched a hashtag on Twitter .  She says she has not given up hope of getting justice for her brother.    ( .. the guy who shot the kid  ... not guilty )
She wants to Sue .
She believes her brother was found  guilty by one man  with a gun . Walker said her brother should be "  alive to stand before a judge and take responsibility  for his actions.
When has it become legal to shoot someone  because they are pulling off in your car ? "
She asks ?

#13 Jun 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Expat
Active

While I definitely do not believe in the death sentence for auto theft. If you live in a country where firearms are part of the constitution, and people are allowed to protect their property. Depending on how the boy was shot, it is either justifiable... or it was murder. In the act, justifiable, running away... murder.

Many teenagers are blatantly stupid, most survive and become more sensible as they mature. I speak from experience... smile

So what the Sister suggests then, is you should calmly stand by and let her tiefing brother take your $50,000 car and all it's contents give you all kinds of horrors with your insurance company, ongoing expenses as your premium goes up, total inconvenience until you get a replacement, without lifting a finger.

I notice from reading the article, that where it happened the statutes says shooting for the protection of yours or someone else's life, The Legal position here is protection of life and/or property. Although I don't think you would have much defense for the loss of a mango.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 18, 2018 2:13 pm)

#14 Jun 18, 2018 3:48 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

If you shoot someone for stealing your car, you are likely going to jail.  If someone with a knife or gun tries to take your car while threatening your life, you can probably shoot him and not be charged.

Now, your life will be ruined.  His family will sue you in civil court.  The news may portray you as a vicious vigilante.   If your boss doesn't approve, he might fire you.  The dead carjacker's criminal friends may hunt you down.  Even if they don't, you will live in fear for your wife and kids.  Hopefully you won't hit anyone else in the crossfire.

Shooting someone, even if 100 percent justified, is something to be avoided.

#15 Jun 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Expat
Active

All valid points.

A hypothetical question.

An unarmed robber grabs a bag presumed to be full of cash for deposit in a bank.

The security guard... there usually are in US banks right... is not in a position to stop the person bolting for the door. It is not yet the Banks money.

What do they do LEGALLY.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 18, 2018 5:51 pm)

#16 Jun 18, 2018 5:57 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

You really can't shoot anybody unless you can legitimately claim - and defend in a court of law - that you believed your life or the lives of others were at risk of immediate death or grievous bodily harm.

What do they do legally?  Try to get a good description, see which way he went, did he have accomplices, etc.

#17 Jun 18, 2018 6:06 pm

Expat
Active

Thank you. Illuminating.

I guess given the amount of video's we have seen over the years, plus tons of anecdotal stories the police far too often are above the law, as almost without exception they seem to get a pass.

#18 Jun 18, 2018 8:53 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

almost without exception they seem to get a pass.

They don't.  You only hear about the ones who do, however.

Government police officers have different rules than civilians like security guards, by the way.  I was talking about civilians.  The rules for police vary by locality.

Board footer