You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jun 19, 2018 3:37 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: YESTERDAY I GOT MY GRENADIAN DRIVING LICENCE OR LICENSE

Expat wrote:

Buddy, if you tap an British girl on her fanny you are going to be in a world of hurt. More so than if it was her butt that you were alluding to. Kinda Trump stylee.

Nothing like that.  You are way off. 

She pointed to another piece of clothing to indicate what she meant by a "jumper".  She pointed at an article of clothing Americans call a "sweater".   My wife and I had no idea what was meant in England by "jumper".

Two peoples separated by a common language.

woolen-sweater-500x500.jpg

#12 Jun 19, 2018 4:40 pm

New Historian
Active

Here you go RD, to prevent you from getting into any argy-bargy on your next visit to Blighty, we don't want you to talk bollocks to some dodgy blokes, get into a barney and go arse over tit!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_ … ted_States

#13 Jun 19, 2018 5:35 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Thanks.  I knew, or could deduce from context, the meaning of most of them.  There are a few that would have otherwise confused me, however.

#14 Jun 19, 2018 6:02 pm

Dancer
Active

New Historian wrote:

Would look good on you!

On my first day in America as an 8th grader I put my hand up and asked if the teacher had a rubber. PIN DROP! Guffaws from the entire class and the embarrassed lady teacher said: "I think you mean an ERASER!"

New Historian  keeps trying to push the envelope , again and again .
..... LBJ hand  or the Golden Hand
+ now
His introduction to contraceptives , first day at school , 8th grade .
What will Prince New Historian (from Hingland)   , share with us next ?

The Eraser  ... smh.   
sad. lol.

Last edited by Dancer (Jun 19, 2018 6:05 pm)

#15 Jun 20, 2018 10:53 am

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

Buddy, if you tap an British girl on her fanny you are going to be in a world of hurt. More so than if it was her butt that you were alluding to. Kinda Trump stylee.

Nothing like that.  You are way off. 

She pointed to another piece of clothing to indicate what she meant by a "jumper".  She pointed at an article of clothing Americans call a "sweater".   My wife and I had no idea what was meant in England by "jumper".

Two peoples separated by a common language.

https://3.imimg.com/data3/QV/HW/MY-2045 … 00x500.jpg

Nah mate, we got the reference to a woolly jumper, I don't know myself why it is called a jumper, other than sheep or at least lambs jump...   and it used to be made from sheep or lambs wool...

No my Fanny reference was knowing in Amerikee it is the ladies butt. In England it is somewhere Trump is used to grabbing.

#16 Jun 20, 2018 10:57 am

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Here you go RD, to prevent you from getting into any argy-bargy on your next visit to Blighty, we don't want you to talk bollocks to some dodgy blokes, get into a barney and go arse over tit!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_ … ted_States

I am glad to see I am a fully paid up Brit. There was only one obscure reference to ?gutties?  I think it was That I didn't recognise... some kind of sports shoe.... but then I have little interest in sport. Other than muff diving. See if RD knows that one.... smile

#17 Jun 20, 2018 11:39 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

Nah mate, we got the reference to a woolly jumper, I don't know myself why it is called a jumper, other than sheep or at least lambs jump...   and it used to be made from sheep or lambs wool...

I don't know what the hell you are babbling about.  Are you having a stroke? smile

#18 Jun 20, 2018 11:40 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Muff diving is Brit?  I have known that one for as long as I remember.  Also known as "eating at the Y".  You don't have to be a cunning linguist to understand that.

#19 Jun 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Muff diving is Brit?  I have known that one for as long as I remember.  Also known as "eating at the Y".  You don't have to be a cunning linguist to understand that.

Perhaps we are a touch more elegant, "dining at the Y", has more class to it.  smile

Very old schoolboy joke...   We had a childrens character called muffin the mule

.... so the little scallywags would say muffin the mule is illegal.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 20, 2018 12:06 pm)

#20 Jun 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

I don't know what the hell you are babbling about.  Are you having a stroke? smile

Let's try this Veeeeeeery slowly. I will shout a little as well, that usually works when speaking to people using a foreign language.

You were going on about jumpers, and sweatshirts. Right?

Then when I diverted to the differences between an American Fanny, and a British fanny you went all fluffy on me and showed pictures of a Jumper... right?

I again tried to point you in the direction of an English fanny, but you have given up on that one, so I then said yes I understood your comments about Sweatshirts.... always a crude language... smile  and then tried to give some possibilities as to why we call sweatshirts jumpers.  ie little lambs jump?

But why would you call a woolen over garment a shirt?  weird.

Anyhooows I am exhausted there is only so much discombobulation a person can take.

Board footer