You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#21 Jun 20, 2018 12:20 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: YESTERDAY I GOT MY GRENADIAN DRIVING LICENCE OR LICENSE

Expat wrote:
Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

Nah mate, we got the reference to a woolly jumper, I don't know myself why it is called a jumper, other than sheep or at least lambs jump...   and it used to be made from sheep or lambs wool...

I don't know what the hell you are babbling about.  Are you having a stroke? smile

Let's try this Veeeeeeery slowly. I will shout a little as well, that usually works when speaking to people using a foreign language.

You were going on about jumpers, and sweatshirts. Right?

Then when I diverted to the differences between an American Fanny, and a British fanny you went all fluffy on me and showed pictures of a Jumper... right?

I again tried to point you in the direction of an English fanny, but you have given up on that one, so I then said yes I understood your comments about Sweatshirts.... always a crude language... smile  and then tried to give some possibilities as to why we call sweatshirts jumpers.  ie little lambs jump?

But why would you call a woolen over garment a shirt?  weird.

Anyhooows I am exhausted there is only so much discombobulation a person can take.

You need patience for these ex-colonials....

#22 Jun 20, 2018 1:53 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

You need patience for these ex-colonials....

smile  I was given to understand Jamaicans and Grenadians to be ex-colonials.

#23 Jun 20, 2018 2:07 pm

New Historian
Active

Yes but we are well behaved ex-colonials, we didn't bite the hand, up until recently we still had a soft spot for Old Blighty. Not like you rebellious rabble, even had to change the very language itself!

#24 Jun 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Fair enough but - don't tell anyone - I have a soft spot for Merry Old England myself.

I suppose that's the reason hard-core right wingers curse me as a "globalist".  LOL!

#25 Jun 20, 2018 4:11 pm

New Historian
Active

"Merry Old England" lol. I find American attitudes to England to be so ... weird? Patronizing? Annoying? Just plain wrong? All the above!!

From when I was a kid of 13 and went to America, and had to deal with inane questions: in England do they have TVs? Does everyone go fox hunting? Have you seen the Queen? In reciprocity, Americans in England often are mercilessly taken the piss out of by the local populace, and the best thing is half the time they don't even realize it lol!!

#26 Jun 20, 2018 7:06 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It's a cute little country.  I enjoy visiting it.

#27 Jun 20, 2018 7:08 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

"Merry Old England" lol. I find American attitudes to England to be so ... weird? Patronizing? Annoying? Just plain wrong? All the above!!

From when I was a kid of 13 and went to America, and had to deal with inane questions: in England do they have TVs? Does everyone go fox hunting? Have you seen the Queen? In reciprocity, Americans in England often are mercilessly taken the piss out of by the local populace, and the best thing is half the time they don't even realize it lol!!

I ain't getting into that, I have done my bear bating for this month... smile

#28 Jun 21, 2018 8:02 am

Slice
Active

Expat wrote:
Slice wrote:

YEP NH ah tink it will look really great on him.

Why do the Caribbean hold onto the European way, when America is three hours away?  I would tink it will be in their financial interest to go American.  Then again I know I am wrong; cars coming from  Japan and England are cheaper to land than those coming from the US.  Go figure.

Just because you went to America and have become enamoured with what you got used to does not mean everyone has to.

So far, as far as I can see recently because of the large amounts of American input via the students we ARE being influenced, just check road markings and no parking signs in IGA or in St Georges. Clumsy, untidy, confusing. America or a Grenadian version of American signage.

European no parking is a tiny sign on a post in the area for you to check time constraints, and usually either single yellow line at the side of the road or a double yellow.  Single means not to park during certain hours during the day, and double just don't park there. Red lines means its a main thoroughfare, and you will get run in as quick as wink if you park.

No big "no parking between"> and < on the road that gets worn out and it's a no excuse system instead of bloody great lollypops all along the road.

Why would you complain about cars being cheaper to land. Yours from America was cheaper to buy in the first place.

My likle Harley was £7000, in the states it was $7000.

You have been living high on the Hog all this time. Take a likle pain in your arse you old grumblin JCB.

Well lord have mercy, me good PADNAH just let me have it, but ah go take it without any fuss  Ah go say this doh, watch out the Americans are coming.  Ah know allyu English folks wanna stop it, but they are coming and not ah ting, you can do about it.

Board footer