You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#41 Jun 23, 2018 12:36 pm

Expat
Active

Re: 2,000 Kids Separated From Parents Under Trump Border Crackdown

Dancer wrote:

I must admit ,  grudging , lol ..... some respect for you  truthfulness . lol.
Atheist  .... don't understand , what's going on .

Nb :::: You try to be good , but the 'Deplorable-ness' lurks  just under the surface. Trump is not helping.

Just keep going to bible study Man from Iowa.
The sun is ahead.

Atheist have a far better grasp than those relying on superstitious gobbledygook from 2000 years ago enhanced with Chinese whispers, and rewritten by sundry emperors, and Papal think tanks.

The concept of following Christs supposed teachings, or many of them from Mohamed to Buddha is a good idea. Being only interested in self with no respect for others is not a good way to go.

Just as Christianity has been responsible for some really horrifying acts of barbarism and general cruelty so has its lighter side been of benefit It's like a curates egg, good in parts.

#42 Jun 23, 2018 1:26 pm

Dancer
Active

Understood Expat . Straddle  the line  .
Christians understand  your plight.

...... put your foot in the water. lo
" Speak to RD "
'he is going to get you in Church , yet '.

#43 Jun 24, 2018 5:20 pm

GMW
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
GMW wrote:

I know Don pretty well. Your depiction of him and his contribution to the forum says a lot about what it has become. While RD has made really valuable contributions to this forum his "rants" about things I'm not willing to rehash, unless you insist that I do, has been quite Trumpian. Historians need better memory than that.

Well, things do change and I have changed a lot since 2002 when I first started posting here.  Probably the biggest thing is that I have become a Christian.  Christ tells us pretty clearly to love each other and treat each other as we wish to be treated.  He wasn't bullshitting either.  In the years since I became a Christian, trying to live that standard has slowly molded my thinking.

You know, even if you are atheist, Christ is worth following as a philosopher.

The bottom line is that I probably said some things over the last 16 years of posting here that I would cringe at now.  All in all, however, my philosophy is the same: 

I will gladly respect your rights if you will respect mine. 

I will gladly treat you with kindness if you will treat me with kindness. 

I will judge you as an individual person and not by your demographic if you will do me the same courtesy. 

I don't take credit for history so I shouldn't be blamed for it.  Neither should you.

Live and let live.

You are a genuine person. That's why you're still here. That i won't question.

#44 Jun 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Expat
Active

Dancer wrote:

Understood Expat . Straddle  the line  .
Christians understand  your plight.

...... put your foot in the water. lo
" Speak to RD "
'he is going to get you in Church , yet '.

There is no line to straddle.

Agnostics I think are batting both ways, they are afraid to be wrong, so maybe just maybe is their stance.

Me I firmly state my belief is No God, pure and simple.  If there is no God, then Christ being the Son of God is pure B.S. and that is what I believe. I would consider the Jewish outlook closer to the truth. There may be misconceptions as to the beginning of the Universe, with the made in 7 days malarkey, but basically it is just interpretation evolved out of ignorance of what the accumulation of science has subsequently taught us. We all change our views the more information is passed to us... except if you have a stake in believing the unadulterated faith book. Me I'm with the Jews. Still waiting, and I have a strong suspicion it will be a damn long wait.

#45 Jun 24, 2018 11:09 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

"Me I firmly state my faith based belief is No God, pure and simple."

There, fixed that for you.

Personally, I don't know a single Christian - including my pastor - who believes God created the universe in six days.   That literalism isn't taught by the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Churches, the Church of England or mainstream Protestant Churches.  It is a small minority of Christians who believe that Genesis is literal.   Most Christians are as unwilling to take that stuff literally as you are. 

It's kind of pitiful that manner in which you attempt to elevate yourself by making up falsehoods about the vast majority of Christians.

Unlike you and me, agnostics are taking a position that isn't faith-based.  Saying God's existence is unknown is not faith based.   Atheism, on the other hand, is as much based on faith as is Christianity.  It only differs in that, while Christians acknowledge their faith, atheists tend to be in denial.

#46 Jun 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Personally, I don't know a single Christian - including my pastor - who believes God created the universe in six days.   That literalism isn't taught by the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Churches, the Church of England or mainstream Protestant Churches.  It is a small minority of Christians who believe that Genesis is literal.   Most Christians are as unwilling to take that stuff literally as you are. 

It's kind of pitiful that manner in which you attempt to elevate yourself by making up falsehoods about the vast majority of Christians.

Unlike you and me, agnostics are taking a position that isn't faith-based.  Saying God's existence is unknown is not faith based.   Atheism, on the other hand, is as much based on faith as is Christianity.  It only differs in that, while Christians acknowledge their faith, atheists tend to be in denial.

#47 Jun 25, 2018 1:23 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Wow we should be really impressed YOUR pastor doesn't believe in the universe being created in 7 days. Spooky that, as a firmly faith based Atheist, I certainly do not believe in the literal interpretation although you seem to be implying I am THAT feeble brained, although I do know at least 2 that were then newly converted who did. The husband of the couple having been to what ever religious college he went to and had become a Pastor, laughed at the concept that the earth was more than? 3000 years old. Had no belief in carbon dating, and thought I must be an Alien.  Well they got the last bit right.

We always live within the constraints of out knowledge. Previously our knowledge was so limited we basically thought OUR Solar system was it. Since 1960 something we realise it is just a tad bigger.

I think we as a collective may not recognise how insignificant we are, and as such cannot fathom how immense our universe is, or how small it might be for a God.  But you know what something so big you actually cannot see the beginning because it is so far away the light can't reach us is pretty damned big.

The one question that tops it all is .... what is outside.... because if you reach the edge of the Universe..... what is outside... If there is a land of super giants in their own universe and our universe is the dust in one of their pockets.....  then what is outside.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 25, 2018 1:25 pm)

Board footer