You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 25, 2018 10:59 pm

New Historian
Active

A weekend in St Lucia

Spent the last 3 days in Lucia on a mission to bring a boat back to Barbados, but the boat proved unseaworthy so we abandoned the mission and went down to Sourfriere Carnival and had a ball instead!

I've always liked Saint Lucia, "the Hellenic Isle" (something to do with the Pitons and Helen's breasts), with its English-Patois culture and its physical beauty - like a bigger version of Grenada. Economically I've looked at it as Grenada's big sister: more hotels, more jobs, more buzz. But with that goes more drugs, more crime, more murders - there were 60 last year, compared to about 7-8 in Grenada.

I stayed in a local down-home hotel in Soufriere called Hummingbird, which was great: friendly people, simple wooden cottages, no air-con, good food. What more do you need? Went to the "drive-in volcano" and had a sulphur mud bath - I am now officially 35 years old! The Pitons must be one of the most staggering natural sights in the world, and I can never take too many pictures of them.

Soufriere is a very old, funky little town at the foot of the Pitons. Lucians take their Carnival very seriously: each major town: Sourfriere, Vieux Fort and Dennery, have their own mini-carnivals on succeeding weekends, leading up to the national carnival in Castries - and everywhere else, again! Soufriere Carnival is ... small. A few small trucks and bands going round the block a few times (the place is ... small). The night before j'ouvert we were liming in town, it was alright but the atmosphere wasn't as "cool" as Grenada. Several people offering to sell me ganja and cocaine as you pass, and some of "dem boys an' dem" were a bit of a pain in the arse. In fact I got into a bit of argy-bargy with one of them, who felt offended that I passed him by without saying anything, that I "disrespected" him. Boy move yourself.

Saint Lucia seems to be booming, with all sorts of new deals in the air. There's 4 Sandals hotels, and more coming, so it seems. They're planning a dolphin park, which a lot of people view quite rightly as a retrograde step, and weirdest of all is the "Pearl of the Caribbean" project - a racetrack! It's under construction in Vieux Fort, under a lot of controversy. And of course it's a Citizenship by Investment scheme, which means that the government - and people - are ultimately footing the bill. The so-called "investor" makes a handsome management fee in the process. Ah boy, our leaders.

http://thevoiceslu.com/2018/02/horse-ra … k-october/

20180623_104325.jpg

20180623_155412.jpg

20180624_150428.jpg

#2 Jun 26, 2018 3:13 am

Calypso
Active

Re: A weekend in St Lucia

New Historian wrote:

Spent the last 3 days in Lucia on a mission to bring a boat back to Barbados, but the boat proved unseaworthy so we abandoned the mission and went down to Sourfriere Carnival and had a ball instead!

I've always liked Saint Lucia, "the Hellenic Isle" (something to do with the Pitons and Helen's breasts), with its English-Patois culture and its physical beauty - like a bigger version of Grenada. Economically I've looked at it as Grenada's big sister: more hotels, more jobs, more buzz. But with that goes more drugs, more crime, more murders - there were 60 last year, compared to about 7-8 in Grenada.

I stayed in a local down-home hotel in Soufriere called Hummingbird, which was great: friendly people, simple wooden cottages, no air-con, good food. What more do you need? Went to the "drive-in volcano" and had a sulphur mud bath - I am now officially 35 years old! The Pitons must be one of the most staggering natural sights in the world, and I can never take too many pictures of them.

Soufriere is a very old, funky little town at the foot of the Pitons. Lucians take their Carnival very seriously: each major town: Sourfriere, Vieux Fort and Dennery, have their own mini-carnivals on succeeding weekends, leading up to the national carnival in Castries - and everywhere else, again! Soufriere Carnival is ... small. A few small trucks and bands going round the block a few times (the place is ... small). The night before j'ouvert we were liming in town, it was alright but the atmosphere wasn't as "cool" as Grenada. Several people offering to sell me ganja and cocaine as you pass, and some of "dem boys an' dem" were a bit of a pain in the arse. In fact I got into a bit of argy-bargy with one of them, who felt offended that I passed him by without saying anything, that I "disrespected" him. Boy move yourself.

Saint Lucia seems to be booming, with all sorts of new deals in the air. There's 4 Sandals hotels, and more coming, so it seems. They're planning a dolphin park, which a lot of people view quite rightly as a retrograde step, and weirdest of all is the "Pearl of the Caribbean" project - a racetrack! It's under construction in Vieux Fort, under a lot of controversy. And of course it's a Citizenship by Investment scheme, which means that the government - and people - are ultimately footing the bill. The so-called "investor" makes a handsome management fee in the process. Ah boy, our leaders.

http://thevoiceslu.com/2018/02/horse-ra … k-october/

https://s8.postimg.cc/4b5kpofbl/20180623_104325.jpg

https://s8.postimg.cc/ac39mqu81/20180623_155412.jpg

https://s8.postimg.cc/6fpxqr1ip/20180624_150428.jpg

This ""Hellenic" island is what inspired Walott to write his masterpiece OMEROUS.

Last edited by Calypso (Jun 26, 2018 7:13 am)

Board footer