You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jun 30, 2018 11:35 am

New Historian
Active

Urban Dictionary: Dally

Urban Dictionary: Dally
Jamaican way of riding a motorbike, bobbing and weaving from side to side

Ninety-five percent of all Jamaican bikers are certifiably insane. Okay that’ a bit unkind; eighty-five. On top of the everyday variety of Jamaican badness, Jamaican bikers are possessed of an even more virulent strain of exhibitionism: the ultimate poseur. Just look at how Jamaicans ride. For starters there’s no such thing as helmet laws, how can you flash your dreadlocks, in a helmet? The most important piece of a Jamaican biker’s safety equipment is his darkers.

And then there’s dallying: the uniquely Jamaican style of riding a bike. For normal mortals, the laws of gravity and common sense dictate that when riding around a corner you lean into the corner. Not so with dallying. To properly “dally roun’ de corner” the rider leans in the opposite direction to the bike, as he weaves his way through the traffic, screwface rigid. Even when there were no corners you’d see guys dallying down a perfectly straight road, just for stylee.

The dallying king of Kingston was a Rastaman (who else?) who rode a yellow and chrome Honda 350-4. With his waist-length dreadlocks flowing behind him he cut a swathe through the clutter of Kingston traffic, dallying and diving like a Rasta Dervish. I once saw him take a corner by Grant’s Pen at breakneck speed, only to buck up on a minibus stopped to pick up a fare.

I winced, certain I was about to witness the demise of the dread. Chi-ching! Sparks flew as he flung the bike one way then the other in the blink of an eye, avoiding bus, car and dog in quick succession. Like everyone else who witnessed that piece of sublime riding, I was agog. The dread flashed his locks and rode on, cool as an ital cucumber. Jah!

#2 Jun 30, 2018 2:27 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Urban Dictionary: Dally

Oh what a boring life you must have lead.... you keep on repeating yourself.... LoL.   smile

#3 Jun 30, 2018 3:12 pm

Slice
Active

And 95% of those in Grenada, are not street worthy in the US.  Doh mind Expat, you are always ah good read.

#4 Jun 30, 2018 3:32 pm

New Historian
Active

Expat wrote:

Oh what a boring life you must have lead.... you keep on repeating yourself.... LoL.   smile

So good it's worth telling twice lol!!

Board footer