You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 04, 2018 3:16 pm

gripe
Active

Dershowitz: Skewered by Martha Vineyards Colleagues re Trump Support

The exchange heated up after Dershowitz wrote an opinion piece stating that he was being shunned by his Martha Vineyards colleagues. According to Dershowitz: “These childish efforts to shun me because I refused to change my position on civil liberties that I have kept for half a century discourages vibrant debate and may dissuade other civil libertarians from applying their neutral principles to a president of whom they disapprove,” Dershowitz wrote in a recent column for the Hill. “But one good thing is that being shunned by some 'old friends' on Martha's Vineyard has taught me who my real friends are and who my fairweather friends were.”

Here is the article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the … 813cb766ae

Part of the response from Dershowitz's (former) colleagues is as follows:

"Responding to an op-ed Dershowitz wrote for The Hill . . . Walter Teller, a prominent Los Angeles entertainment lawyer and longtime Vineyard resident, sent Dershowitz and others in their circle an e-mail explaining the sudden estrangement.

The politically charged missive didn't pull any punches. Teller, whose wife is director Claudia Weill, said Dershowitz had embarrassed himself by so often appearing on television to strenuously oppose the appointment of Robert Mueller as special counsel.

"You thereby gave Trump an opportunity to use you and your positions in his own defense, to wave you like his pom-pom. How unfortunate for all of us," wrote Teller, a partner in a Beverly Hills law firm. "You defended and gave cover to this president who relentlessly disrupts and destroys all that we value and causes massive and lasting damage to our political system, our courts, our standing in the world, the environment and more. In all of that you are complicit."'

Here is a link to the response to Dershowitz:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/n … story.html

Last edited by gripe (Jul 04, 2018 3:19 pm)

#2 Jul 04, 2018 5:58 pm

Slice
Active

Re: Dershowitz: Skewered by Martha Vineyards Colleagues re Trump Support

Been reading about that since yesterday.  I think even me was taken by surprise when I heard his comments back in Baltimore.  I get his support for Trump, but he should be man enough to say when Trump does wrong.  Ah doh tink anyone can dispute the facts, that Trump and Putin have something going on.

It is also proven, that some kinda crime was committed by Russia and Trump, then every Red Blooded American should say so.  Russia is not ah friend of America.

#3 Jul 05, 2018 6:23 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Dershowitz: Skewered by Martha Vineyards Colleagues re Trump Support

gripe wrote:

The exchange heated up after Dershowitz wrote an opinion piece stating that he was being shunned by his Martha Vineyards colleagues. According to Dershowitz: “These childish efforts to shun me because I refused to change my position on civil liberties that I have kept for half a century discourages vibrant debate and may dissuade other civil libertarians from applying their neutral principles to a president of whom they disapprove,” Dershowitz wrote in a recent column for the Hill. “But one good thing is that being shunned by some 'old friends' on Martha's Vineyard has taught me who my real friends are and who my fairweather friends were.”

Here is the article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the … 813cb766ae

Part of the response from Dershowitz's (former) colleagues is as follows:

"Responding to an op-ed Dershowitz wrote for The Hill . . . Walter Teller, a prominent Los Angeles entertainment lawyer and longtime Vineyard resident, sent Dershowitz and others in their circle an e-mail explaining the sudden estrangement.

The politically charged missive didn't pull any punches. Teller, whose wife is director Claudia Weill, said Dershowitz had embarrassed himself by so often appearing on television to strenuously oppose the appointment of Robert Mueller as special counsel.

"You thereby gave Trump an opportunity to use you and your positions in his own defense, to wave you like his pom-pom. How unfortunate for all of us," wrote Teller, a partner in a Beverly Hills law firm. "You defended and gave cover to this president who relentlessly disrupts and destroys all that we value and causes massive and lasting damage to our political system, our courts, our standing in the world, the environment and more. In all of that you are complicit."'

Here is a link to the response to Dershowitz:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/n … story.html

Dershowitz became know to me when he defended Claus Von Bulow, the Danish immigrant for murdering his wealthy by injecting her with insulin. I don't like SOME of Trump's policies on civil liberties but I like the fact that he has the guts to stand up for his beliefs.

Board footer