You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 06, 2018 8:07 pm

houston
Active

Cop to Mayor

A good read being as Toronto the Good is experiencing a heavy increase in gang gun violence recently. Maybe things would calm down if every Tom, Dick and Jane walked with a pistol?

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/ … nce-crisis

#2 Jul 06, 2018 9:03 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Cop to Mayor

You really are like a dog with a bone. Only your bone has no marrow, so is a pretty pointless chew.

You are trying it seems to superimpose the activities and operating methods of America onto Canada, which from my admittedly very limited knowledge is a very different ball game.

Toronto is seeing a boom in Gun Crime, just as London UK. Neither has an open season with respect to gun use or ownership, so "The Public" do not carry guns for self defense, and the Police are the prime arbiters of dealing with crime.

My guess would be that the protagonists, AND victims are almost exclusively drug activists. The general public is rarely at risk apart from being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or mis-identification of an opposing gang member.

There is no call or need for every Tom Dick or houston to tool up, and as there is no modern history of civilian carrying guns there is no need to set a precedent for it to occur.

You are creating bloody great papier mache straw men so that you have something to shoot at.

You HAVE to keep context. America is the country with the gun issue, and the constitution that makes things difficult. Canada does not. So why beat your drum when the skin has been removed.

Despite the very small gun crime rate in Grenada, there is still a precedent for those that have to be prepared for house invasions etc, as even though guns HAVE been used in house invasions every Tom Dick and houston does walk with a Black mans gun, it is called a cutlass, and there are too many people walking around without hands to verify that they are often used.

Only a couple of weeks ago a buddy got 2 chop to his head right close to where I live. Cutlass is not fist fighting.

Last edited by Expat (Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm)

#3 Jul 06, 2018 9:37 pm

houston
Active

Of course more guns in the hands of the public do nothing to protect the public. Neither would a cutlass. The police need to be empowered to do the job the tax payers expect them to do. If it offends certain groups, too bad for them.
The majority of gun crime in the Toronto area is gang related with many innocent bystanders as victims or professional hits of people with skeletons.
No one with a gun in their purse or pocket could possibly defend from that type of ambush.

#4 Jul 07, 2018 9:19 am

Expat
Active

You are mixing issues simply because you have an agenda. It is your cause celebre, and any angle you can throw at is will do.

Firstly try sticking to one country and one issue at a time, then there can be an intelligent debate. While you are throwing brick bats all over the place it ends up meaning nothing.

If you have finally settled on Toronto or Canada instead of implying the same cause or result is universal, then sure, there is no real need to ramp up the gun ownership, and sure it would be better to take more tax from you and provide better police coverage.

As you might have noticed, if you are specifically talking about Canada I at least am not doing much arguing with what you have suggested.

Other countries, and other situations I disagree. Simply suggesting that no one with a gun could defend themselves from an attack it total bollocks. A garrote from behind, a blade exposed and embedded quicker than wink.... obviously fumbling for a gun would achieve nothing. But to carte blanche suggest a weapon could not be employed in a lot of situations is plain daft.

Then there is sports use. There are millions of sporting gun owners, and Olympic and pre Olympic contestants. You seem like one of those blanket ban muppets who would deny millions of people harmless pleasure simply because mostly as you said GANG users have escalated a problem out of control.  Disarming everybody but the Gang members is opening up the World to a 2 governing body system.  One run by the State where victims are canon fodder for the Gangs whop will take over cities and brutalise everybody in reach. The corruption will be as bad in some of those South American countries, and life will be hell on Earth.

But the public won't have guns   Whoopie.

#5 Jul 07, 2018 6:23 pm

houston
Active

Expat, why the need to be such a smart ass?
I think that you think that you've got it, but sadly you don't seem to get it at all. Even more sad is the fact that you continually recite from the bible of the NRA ( gun control means a ban on all guns) really? Why are you so bent on that text book NRA shiete?
Guns have been around for a long time in Canada and I have no problem with them in qualified hands. I'm sure the control of firearms in the UK is similar to that of Canada.
Thinking a pink gun would suit you perfectly at the shooting range Expat, what do ya think?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ … gang-raid/

#6 Jul 07, 2018 7:59 pm

New Historian
Active

"Expat, why the need to be such a smart ass?"

He can't help himself, it's a national characteristic, called taking le piss!

#7 Jul 07, 2018 11:24 pm

Expat
Active

Beware the man that understands, he may have been polluted by his long sojourn to that heathen bastion of witery. (as in wit)

No pulling the wool over HIS eyes... smile

Despite your sundry abuses at the hands of those British swines you seem to have had time to absorb some of the underpinnings of the old country. The ex Colonials who haven't gone cheek to jowl with the beast will simply feel the wind as it whooshes over their heads.

#8 Jul 07, 2018 11:27 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

"Expat, why the need to be such a smart ass?"

He can't help himself, it's a national characteristic, called taking le piss!

>>Maybe things would calm down if every Tom, Dick and Jane walked with a pistol?<<

And you have the temerity to ask why I feel the need to be a smart ass.  Try looking in the mirror for the answer. It must surely be firmly laid at your door.

PS, A lady just down the road was burgled last night. Dr Glock would certainly be the cure for that illness.

PPS  I gave you the response you would have wanted surely.... Agreement....>>If you have finally settled on Toronto or Canada instead of implying the same cause or result is universal, then sure, there is no real need to ramp up the gun ownership, and sure it would be better to take more tax from you and provide better police coverage.<<

Last edited by Expat (Jul 07, 2018 11:34 pm)

Board footer