You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#11 Jul 16, 2018 5:47 pm

houston
Active

Re: Lancaster news

New Historian wrote:

Nice to see history being preserved, my father built Lancasters during ze Var:

He may not have served in the armed forces, but our father certainly did his bit to bring the war to Hitler’s doorstep. After a couple of years at Cornercroft he worked at the Metrovicks factory in Trafford Park Manchester, on the assembly line for the famous Lancaster bombers, scourge of the Rhine Valley.

The Luftwaffe rained a barrage of destruction upon England industrial heartland, with Manchester a prime target. In one devastating night’s bombing raid destroyed 13 Lancasters while they were still on the runway, a raid in which dozens of my father's co-workers died. Every night there was a raid or at least an air raid warning. You got so conditioned that as soon as the siren went off you dropped whatever you were doing and ran to the nearest shelter like Pavlov’s dog.

I find that very interesting that your father worked on assembly of the Lancasters during war time. I'm sure he would have had plenty of stories to pass on.

#12 Jul 16, 2018 5:51 pm

houston
Active

Re: Lancaster news

Expat wrote:
New Historian wrote:

"My father an Artist among other things, painted the destruction of the City from the top of the building he was in."

Hope you still have them?

Kept by my Sister.

https://s22.postimg.cc/rtl2o8qrh/plymouth_burning.jpg

As you can see it was a roughed out image done on the spot without ever being taken beyond rough. But the flavour is still there.

Not bad for a rough sketch. A great keeper.

Board footer