You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#1 Jul 22, 2018 6:02 pm

gripe
Active

Dangerous California Precedent Looms: No Right to Counsel?

Everyone who reads the article at the link should be concerned if the unprecedented appeals court ruling becomes the law in California. In that situation, EVERYONE in the country would be potentially at risk.

Here is the link: https://static.theintercept.com/amp/six … ornia.html

#2 Jul 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Expat
Active

Re: Dangerous California Precedent Looms: No Right to Counsel?

So the arrest was sneaky, and I get that the erosion of rights issue is of concern, BUT if she didn't get stopped, and wasn't arrested for DUI then she might have killed your kid.....

#3 Jul 22, 2018 8:42 pm

gripe
Active

Re: Dangerous California Precedent Looms: No Right to Counsel?

Expat, the issue in the pending appeal to California's Supreme Court is not whether Ms. Lopez should have been stopped and charged. (Although I must point out that the lower court was correct in its suppression ruling.) The issue is the appeal court's strange denial of Ms. Lopez's constitutionally protected right to counsel in a criminal case. Don't you realize that the prosecution, the State of California, is trying to get a second bite at the apple but at a shameful advantage and to Ms. Lopez's detriment? 

If you are an advocate for fairness -- by fully agreeing that Ms. Lopez was properly stopped because "she might have killed your kid" -- why can't you be consistent in your quest for fairness and understand the issue? It is simply this: Ms. Lopez will be terribly disadvantaged if she does not have an attorney to represent her re the State's challenge to the lower court's ruling.

In my estimation, the California Supreme Court should reverse the appeals court.

Board footer