You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop.

#21 Jul 27, 2018 4:11 am

Calypso
Active

Re: Denzil Forrester, a Grenadian Artist who Lives in Cornwall, England

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

The Michael Angelo's, Rubens and Titian's of the past must be either spinning in their catacombs or rolling up in hysterical mirth at what is an apology for art. I do not imply that modern paintings should be about angels and great classical people of history, but that the skill and replication of the sitter should be represented in a clear and accurate way. A portrait by an artist should be akin to a photograph, but with soul. The artists embeds the painting with presence that the photo cannot.

How blasted ignorant you have about the knowledge of art and artists' depictions of experiences. Art history was my minor is college. Goya, Canaletto, Rubens, Schiele,  johns, Picasso, etc.  , furthermore movements like fauvism, cubism, Dadaism, impressionism,  pop, minimalism, , etc, etc, were born from ideology. A bloody painting does not have to be linear for it to be considered a work of art. An artist can take anything tangible object or thing and diminish into any images he like on canvas.

I rest my case. As a product of the unaccomplished you have swallowed their pretentious lack of ability  lock stock and untrained tube of acrylic.

Crap for crap sake is not art it is unaccomplished crap.

The painting below... as are all those in my possession is unfinished, has a reality, a bite, character, or any other positive label you might put on it. It has more structure, depth and emotion that NH's smokers. You don't have to like it, or the subject content, but as a student of art I trust you can recognise art when you see it.

https://s8.postimg.cc/7xphyazcx/Great_Granny_cole.jpg

The piece you show is  a good piece of art because of it's expressive nature and it's sensitivity to human frailty but what if the fauvist, the cubist or the impressionist had created it? They would have approach it in a completely different manner. Would it still be good art if it appeared in another style. You have to understand and appreciate the artist perspective before you like the piece.

#22 Jul 27, 2018 4:16 am

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:
Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

The Michael Angelo's, Rubens and Titian's of the past must be either spinning in their catacombs or rolling up in hysterical mirth at what is an apology for art. I do not imply that modern paintings should be about angels and great classical people of history, but that the skill and replication of the sitter should be represented in a clear and accurate way. A portrait by an artist should be akin to a photograph, but with soul. The artists embeds the painting with presence that the photo cannot.

How blasted ignorant you have about the knowledge of art and artists' depictions of experiences. Art history was my minor is college. Goya, Canaletto, Rubens, Schiele,  johns, Picasso, etc.  , furthermore movements like fauvism, cubism, Dadaism, impressionism,  pop, minimalism, , etc, etc, were born from ideology. A bloody painting does not have to be linear for it to be considered a work of art. An artist can take anything tangible object or thing and diminish into any images he like on canvas.

I rest my case. As a product of the unaccomplished you have swallowed their pretentious lack of ability  lock stock and untrained tube of acrylic.

Crap for crap sake is not art it is unaccomplished crap.

I kinda switched off when the convo went off on that art-intelligentsia crap, but have to jump in and say you're absolutely right: "Art history was my minor" doesn't make your view of "great art" any better than the dustman down the street. One man's crap is another's masterpiece, and I don't care how much money those lucky artists for their "pieces", in my humble Philistine's opinion, a cum-stained bed and half a dead cow are NOT "great art". Great idea, great con, but hardly great art.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news … le-move-it

Edna Manley might have been "The mother of Jamaican art" but in my opinion, she was not a good art. Look at sculptor ofBogle, our National Hero. Tell me what you see?

#23 Jul 27, 2018 9:40 am

New Historian
Active

What do I see? I see an inspirational representation of an iconic Jamaican hero. I don't see a "perfect picture", art isn't meant to be literal. Like the statue of Bob by Jamaican sculptor Chris Gonzalez (who used to live next door to me), there was a hue and cry when it was unveiled in Jamaica "But wha dat? Bob ah come outta one tree? A wha kinda fooloshness dat, dat doh look like Bob!" So thanks to the ignorencia, they removed Chris' statue and replaced it with something more literal, something the masses could relate to.

But all three of them are way better than the statue of slave leader Busser in Barbados, technically that is awful.

bogle.jpg

bussa-barbados.jpg

bob-marley-statues-2.jpg

#24 Jul 27, 2018 12:48 pm

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

What do I see? I see an inspirational representation of an iconic Jamaican hero. I don't see a "perfect picture", art isn't meant to be literal. Like the statue of Bob by Jamaican sculptor Chris Gonzalez (who used to live next door to me), there was a hue and cry when it was unveiled in Jamaica "But wha dat? Bob ah come outta one tree? A wha kinda fooloshness dat, dat doh look like Bob!" So thanks to the ignorencia, they removed Chris' statue and replaced it with something more literal, something the masses could relate to.

But all three of them are way better than the statue of slave leader Busser in Barbados, technically that is awful.

https://s15.postimg.cc/qx8rzdp5j/bogle.jpg

https://s15.postimg.cc/9jyhkieev/bussa-barbados.jpg

https://s15.postimg.cc/6pvc75c9j/bob-marley-statues-2.jpg

Edna Manley went to art school in the 20s in England. In those days the Cubist movement was popular. The piece of sculptor done of Bogle does not show signs of the art movement. How was he trying to portray Bogle the man and revolutionary. Had she portrayed him in strong geometrical forms using curves, cubes and bends, the figure would have emerged as a dream.

#25 Jul 27, 2018 4:00 pm

New Historian
Active

"Edna Manley went to art school in the 20s in England. In those days the Cubist movement was popular. The piece of sculptor done of Bogle does not show signs of the art movement. How was he trying to portray Bogle the man and revolutionary. Had she portrayed him in strong geometrical forms using curves, cubes and bends, the figure would have emerged as a dream."

Forgot to add: In my (un)humble opinion. To a simple pleb like moi, it's a strong piece of art.

Board footer